People often talk about losing a few pounds. People who are overweight tend to get a lot of traction when they talk about body shaming. But the same goes with underweight people. Gaining weight is also challenging; being skinny comes with its own set of problems that often go unheard.
There are many health risks associated with being underweight or having poor nutrition. It can cause vitamin deficiency anemia, and it can also hamper your immune system. Women can have fertility issues due to an irregular menstrual cycle, while children and teenagers often suffer from growth and development issues.
The Causes of Being Underweight
Before knowing the reasons for being underweight, you should be aware of how you can find out if you are skinny or not. Body mass index (BMI) can help you determine your weight. BMI is the approximate fat of your body according to your height and weight. You can calculate your BMI by consulting a doctor. A BMI less than 18.5 is called underweight. You can be underweight due to the following reasons:
- Family History: Some people have naturally low BMI. This is because of family history. Maybe your ancestors were slim and are continuing in every generation.
- High Metabolism: The high metabolism of your body can also be a reason for being underweight. Even if you are eating high-energy food, you will end up not gaining weight. A high metabolism means your body can burn more calories naturally, even in a state of rest.
- Involvement in More Physical Activity: Involving in high-level physical activity can burn a significant amount of calories, due to which you are unable to gain weight. This can be seen in athletes and runners. Even children in rural areas who indulge in strenuous physical work generally remain underweight.
- Chronic Illness: If you are suffering from any disease like diabetes, thyroid disorder, or digestive problem, you don’t feel like eating much in these conditions and end up having low weight. Some diseases also cause vomiting or diarrhea, which makes gaining weight difficult.
- Mental Conditions: Mental conditions like depression, anxiety, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) can affect a person’s body and eating habits.
How to Gain Weight in a Healthier Manner
There are many unhealthy ways to gain weight, but they might not be suitable for your body. Here are some healthy and scientifically proven tips to achieve healthy body weight.
- Morning Exercise: At the beginning, you can start with regular twists and turns. You can perform these exercises in your home garden. A good and clean garden gives you the motivation to exercise more. Also, you can buy a compact golf cart from sites like cricketcartdirect.com and wander around the neighborhood after your workout.
- Start Lifting Weights: Upgrade your exercises by including heavy lifts. Lifting heavy weights will tear your muscles. A heavyweight will sore down your major muscles. Performing exercise with a heavyweight in every rep results in shaping your muscles. At the beginning stage, you can start with squats, pull-ups, overhead press, and lunges.
- Increase Protein and Fiber Intake: Protein is considered the best source for recovering muscle and gaining muscle mass. A high protein intake can fulfill the need for extra calories needed by the body. At the initial stage, increase it by 300 to 400 calories. With time, you can increase your calorie intake. Protein intake will cut down your hunger and keep you full for long, reducing your intake of junk food. It is recommended to have 1.5 to 2.2 grams of protein per kilogram of your body weight every day. You can eat milk, eggs, cottage cheese, and tofu. It would be best to buy whey protein and mix it with water or milk.
- Eat Small and Frequent Meals: Eat in small quantities but eat at least three to four times a day. Try to balance the intake of protein, high carbs, and high-fat food in your meals. Don’t switch to intermittent fasting as this is for losing weight, not gaining weight.
- Include Juices and Shakes: Avoid the intake of Coke, diet soda, or any drinks which contain preservatives. Instead, you can switch to homemade juices and shakes made with milk, fresh fruits, and dry fruits. Keep an eye on your water intake. It must be at least 3.7 liters for males and 2.7 liters for females. You can consult your doctor to discuss when you can take these according to your body type.
If you are a person with low weight, you should seriously focus on your daily routine and follow a proper and healthy diet. Consult a nutritionist for better and effective results. You can also follow fitness trainers on social media for free tips and training. Slow yet consistent efforts will surely lead you to your goal weight.