Although the year of 2016 was shrouded by negativity, with celebrity deaths, corruption and worldwide unrest, it is always good to remember the positives, to celebrate our world achievements and hear a bit of uplifting news. So here’s a list of 20 great things which happened and were somewhat overlooked in 2016:
1) Throughout 2016 around 100 million people rose out of extreme poverty, meaning every second at least 3 people were rising above the poverty line.
2) During 2016 Pakistan has made incredible strides toward outlawing honor killings.
3) It was announced that there are around 500,000 vegans in the UK alone meaning there has been a substantial increase in animal rights.
4) India planted a record breaking 50 million trees.
5) The World Health Organization (WHO) reported malaria deaths went down by 60% since the year 2000.
6) The number of US veterans subjected to homelessness has dropped 50% since 2010.
7) Alongside number #6; Dentists are once again providing free care to veterans who need it.
8) Tiger numbers are on the rise, with a whopping 22% increase in the past 6 years.
9) One of the world’s best loved endangered animals, the Giant Panda, was removed from the endangered species list!
10) There was a huge continued decline in national health issues including colon cancer, dementia and hip fractures.
11) An incredible new therapy has been developed in Israel which could cure radiation sickness.
12) The Ebola Crisis, which many thought would turn into a global epidemic, was declared as officially over by the World Health Organization in March 2016.
13) California is now powering over 6 million homes with solar power, a record in the US.
14) The Global Terrorism Index 2016 reported that the annual worldwide number of terrorist attacks and deaths by acts of terrorism declined by 10%.
15) The recorded number of maternal deaths has almost halved since 1990.
16) Acidic pollution returned to similar levels seen in the 1930s, alongside this, CO2 levels stayed the same for the third year running.
17) Wars around the world are a quarter as deadly as wars in the 1980s. There was finally peace in Columbia and the Americas are now seen as a continent of peace.
18) Scientists figured out how to link robotic limbs with the part of the brain that deals with intent to move so people don’t have to think about how they will move the limb, it can just happen.
19) Coffee consumption has been proved to help curtail cancer and suicide rates.
20) And last but by no means least, the Americas were declared free from measles, a terrible disease which killed around 200 million people.
So next time you decide to take a look at 2016 in your memory banks, remember the good bits too, 2016 achieved some truly great things. Let us not forget it.
If you enjoyed this article or learned something new, please don’t forget to share it with others so they have a chance to enjoy this free information. This article is open source and free to reblog or use if you give a direct link back to the original article URL. Thanks for taking the time to support an open source initiative. We believe all information should be free and available to everyone. Have a good day and we hope to see you soon!
If you enjoyed this article or learned something new, please don't forget to share it with others so they have a chance to enjoy this free information. This article is open source and free to reblog or use if you give a direct link back to the original article URL. Thanks for taking the time to support an open source initiative. We believe all information should be free and available to everyone. Have a good day and we hope to see you soon!