We write regularly about how amazing apple cider vinegar (or ACV, for those in the know) is – but you may not realize just how varied its many great applications are!
Consider this, then, as your guide – we’re here to tell you about all the ways ACV can change your life for the better, including the many you’ve likely not seen before.
Check out these uses below:
- Allergies and Congestion: Not only does ACV help break up mucous, it also has a natural anti-histamine effect. Whether your suffering from seasonal allergies, environmental or pet related, ACV can lessen the sneezy, wheezy, uncomfortable symptoms.
- Antiglycemic Effect: Plenty of human studies have been done on the effect vinegar has on insulin response and blood glucose levels after a meal. Vinegar also has the effect of suppressing the appetite and increasing feeling of satiety. ACV may also lower the glycemic response to starchy carbohydrates. With diabetes being as prevalent as it is today it’s comforting to know that something as simple as vinegar may perhaps be an effective treatment.
- Balances pH: The idea of eating a diet high in alkaline foods is that disease thrives in an acidic environment. Foods like ACV and lemon water are surprisingly alkaline forming.
- Body Odor: Again with the pH, ACV helps control excessive body odour by regulating the pH of the skin, something most commercial deodorants and perfumes can’t claim. For foot odor as well as fungal problems, even just a 10 minute soak once a week can keep bad smells in check. To use ACV as a deodorant simply wipe each armpit with a soaked cotton ball daily.
- Cancer Preventative: The acetic acid present in ACV has been found in a number of cell and animal studies to have anti-tumor properties. We are in to way claiming that apple cider vinegar is a cure for cancer or tumors, ongoing research and testing is a step in the right direction.
- Candida: If you aren’t familiar with candida overgrowth, consider yourself lucky. Candida is a parasitic bacteria which cause yeast overgrowth leading to low energy, poor digestion, yeast infections, canker sores and other uncomfortable symptoms. ACV works by helping promote better digestion and an acid/alkaline balance more aligned with promoting healthy bacteria to once again thrive in the gut.
- Cleaning: ACV combined with 2 parts water makes an effective natural disinfectant solution for all surfaces. It’s amazingly affordable compared to commercial natural cleaning products and the smell is really pleasant, you could add a few drops of thieves oil and have a great antibacterial spray for countertops, bathroom, kitchen and carpet deodorizer.
- Corns, Callouses and Warts: Dr. Scholl was a believer in keeping feet healthy by soaking them in warm water with 1/3 C ACV for 20 minutes and rubbing with a pumice stone. This treatment for chronic foot ailments helps to correct the pH of the feet and make it impossible for fungus and warts to imbed themselves within the skin. For warts, instead of rubbing with a pumice stone after a soak, simply saturate a cotton ball, apply it to the affected areas and cover overnight.
- Dandruff and Hair Loss: The high acidity and powerful enzyme in ACV kill the bacteria responsible for dandruff and hair loss, bottle bacilli, and stimulates our hair natural oils to secrete more effectively and moisturize our scalps better. Saturate the scalp with ACV and let it sit for a few hours if you can, use the same treatment for thinning hair and itchy scalp.
- Detoxifying: In a world filled with so many toxins, we should all be taking precautionary measures by incorporating protective foods into our diets. The unique acids in ACV bind to toxins and allow us to release them more effectively. You can also utilize the medicine of ACV by adding a cup to a hot bath with some epsom salts, to kickstart your lymphatic system into releasing toxins.
- Digestion Aid: Apple Cider Vinegar in its raw form is an excellent digestive tonic, it’s so rich in living enzymes that help to break food down to its bare components, making it far easier to assimilate. The acetic acid present in ACV has also been shown to help with mineral absorption, enabling us to get the most out of the foods we eat.
- Hair Rinse: There’s a new hair craze on the rise and it relies on the simple method of using baking soda as a shampoo and ACV as a conditioning hair rinse. Instead of spending loads on junk free shampoos and conditioners, this works really well and makes your hair super soft. Thanks to the pH balancing effects that ACV has, anecdotal reports claim it can add shine, softness and break down build up from other hair products.
- High Cholesterol Treatment: There has yet to be a study done on effects of ACV on humans with high cholesterol but a study in 2006 found rats fed ACV for 19 days had drastic reduction in total cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Heart Burn and Acid Reflux: One of the most common health complaints people have is heart burn. It’s a symptom of the SAD (Standard American Diet) lifestyle because acid reflux only occurs when we’re depleted in hydrochloric acid (HcL). HcL production is low in people who have sub optimal gut flora, meaning the aren’t eating enough cultured/fermented foods and have likely taken some sort of antibiotic in the past which has killed off the natural beneficial bacteria. Taking a Tbs of raw ACV with each meal ensures that the stomach acid will be acidic enough to do it’s job in making sure to kill off harmful microbes and start the process of digestion.
- Pets: ACV is a great remedy for repelling fleas from your dogs skin, it’s totally safe to use so you don’t have to worry about your pet getting sick from licking afterwards. It works on pets the same way that it works on humans, reestablishing the proper acid mantle of the skin to repel microbes and other pests. You can also add Apple Cider Vinegar to your pets food to keep a healthy pH balance in their gut and to prevent allergies, deter parasites, ringworm, ticks, fungus and other microbes from invading.
- Poison Ivy and Poison Oak: ACV can soothe the irritation caused by these poisonous plants. Combine 50:50 with water in a spray bottle and add a few ice cubes. This cooling spray helps to draw the toxins out of the skin and provide relief from the sting.
- Potassium: Potassium is an essential mineral in maintaining the soft tissues of the body, keeping everything flexible and resilient. Deficiencies in potassium can cause an array of health problems. ACV is rich in potassium.
- Preserving Food: Vinegar’s use as a preservative agent dates back to 5000 BC when it was first discovered. People soon recognized that this magical substance could allow them to store food for longer periods. Instead of making pickles with white vinegar, try using ACV, it gives them a great flavor as well as the added health benefits.
- Prevents Bladder stones and UTI: If you’ve ever had kidney stones, or known someone who has, they are extremely painful, and totally preventable. Stones typically form when a persons urine is very acidic and concentrated, crystals form out of uric acid, calcium oxalate and struvite and have to be passed through the urinary tract. ACV works by alkalizing the urine, decreasing the likelihood that this ailment would ever occur, and it’s been said that it can even break down the kidney stones.
- Prevents Muscle Fatigue: Muscle fatigue can often be a symptom of mineral and electrolyte depletion. To make sure the body has ample electrolyte stores take a Tbs of ACV with water before a workout. The natural pH of our bodies when it’s in balance create an environment where elimination of excess lactic acid in the muscles easily occurs, this stasis also plays a crucial role in oxygenating our bodies during exercise.
- Removes Bad Breath: Halitosis, it’s embarrassing and can be a sign of a deeper problem but one remedy for bad breath is you guessed it, ACV. A folk remedy that many people claim has merit is to gargle with 1/2 Tbs raw ACV diluted in water for 30 seconds, twice per day. Some say it also helps to whiten teeth and remove stains.
- Skin Toner: Most skin care products are on the alkaline side of the pH scale, some people try everything for their skin problems but nothing seems to work! The issue is most products are harming the acid mantle, a protective layer on our skin. If you want to try ACV as a toner, just combine one part ACV with two to three parts water, you’ll want to add more water for very sensitive skin. Apply this concoction to your face after cleansing and allow it to absorb into your skin.
- Weight Loss: A huge problem those of us trying to lose weight face is those ups and downs when blood sugars spike and drop too drastically. ACV has been shown to help regulate blood sugar levels, helping to curb cravings and kick extra calories out. ACV can also help with weight loss by increasing satiety after a meal, always a good feeling. A study done on obese individuals who consumed 15mL or 30mL of vinegar per day for 12-weeks, showed a reduction in body fat mass and serum triglycerides.
While plenty of people say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, you can improve upon that apple – with apple cider vinegar!